Sunday, March 4, 2012

Ralph McQuarrie: 1929-2012

Ralph McQuarrie, the artist with the unique vision behind the original trilogy of Star Wars films and dozens of other movies, passed away yesterday at the age of 82.


In the summer of 1997, Vinod and I had the good fortune to briefly meet Ralph McQuarrie at a convention. He was gracious and humble, and I'm grateful to have met him.

At that time, I was just about to enter art school, and I was becoming more aware of concept art--aware of what it was, aware that there were so many different, important roles that artists play in the development of films. Ralph McQuarrie may have been the first concept artist for movies that I knew by name. His imaginative designs have left an indelible imprint on the film industry and the minds of artists for generations to come.


A signed poster of Mr. McQuarrie's illustration of Luke confronting Darth Vader hangs in our studio.
My sincere condolences to Mr. McQuarrie's friends and loved ones.

No comments: